NVvault DDR4 (NV4) is an NVDIMM-N that provides data acceleration and protection in a JEDEC standard DDR4 interface. It is designed to be integrated into industry standard server or storage solutions.
By combining the high performance of DDR4 DRAM with the non-volatility of NAND Flash, NVvault improves the performance and data preservation found in storage virtualization, RAID, cache protection, and data logging applications requiring high-throughput.
This NVDIMM utilizes Netlist’s patented Vault cache-to-flash controller and works in conjunction with general purpose CPUs, RAID adapters, and other devices.
- 30x greater IOPS vs NVMe SSD*
- 1000x lower latency vs NVMe SSD#
- 15x greater write bandwidth vs NVMe SSD*
* = when using libpmem load/store API
# = DRAM to NAND latency
Features and Benefits
- Backed by years of NVDIMM experience
- Up to 16GB Densities
- Integration into Fastest Storage Tier
- Supercapacitors Instead of Batteries
- JEDEC Standard DDR4 RDIMM Interface
- Low Latency / High-Throughput DDR4
- JEDEC Standard DDR4 Form Factor
- In-Field FPGA Programmability
- Real-Time Health Media Monitoring
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
||8GB 1Rx4 DDR4
||16GB 1Rx4 DDR4
||133.35 x 31.25 x 7.2
||50F - 46 x 37 x 37
||50F - 90 x 40 x 16
|NVDIMM Operating Temperature
||0°C to +70°C
|Supercapacitor Operating Temperature
||-40°C to +65°C
|NVDIMM Storage Temperature
||-40°C to +85°C
|Supercapacitor Storage Temperature (Lifetime Limits)
||> 10 years at +40°C
> 5 years at +50°C
~ 2.5 years at +60°C
||Test utility included to allow the customer to perform backup, restore, and data verification on the DIMMs.
||NVDIMMs will use NAND-based flash device for persistent backup and NAND flash to allow for at least 20K PE cycles over its expected lifetime.
|NVDIMM Part Numbers
Power Management Unit (PMU) Part Numbers*
* Please contact your nearest Netlist representative for custom PMU options.
What is an NVDIMM?
A Non-Volatile Dual In-Line Memory Module (NVDIMM) is the combination of DRAM and NAND Flash in an industry standard DIMM form factor that provides DRAM performance with the non-volatility of flash. This persistent DIMM is the next step up in storage performance.
DRAM is a volatile storage medium that offers the highest performance, in terms of throughput and latency, with almost infinite write endurance and high reliability.
- High Speed
NAND Flash is a non-volatile storage medium that offers the highest capacities at significantly lower price points than DRAM. Because NAND is non-volatile, data is permanently stored regardless of power interruptions.
- High Capacity
- Low Cost
Supercapacitors ("supercaps") provide the power needed to transfer data from the DRAM to flash during a power interruption. Supercapacitors are environmentally friendly and eliminate the need for batteries.
- High Efficiency
- Maintenance Free
How NVvault NVDIMM Works
- NVvault functions as a standard RDIMM.
- During a power interruption, supercaps provide power to the DIMM while data is transferred from the DRAM to the NAND Flash.
- Data is retained on the NAND Flash (>10 years) until power is restored.
- Upon power restoration, data is restored to the DRAM so the DIMM can function as intended ready for any interruptions.
Why NVvault NVDIMM?
Netlist NVvault NVDIMM is the first hybrid memory to combine the best attributes of DRAM and NAND Flash on a single subsystem to provide acceleration and persistence in server and storage applications.
“Hot” data (cache, metadata, indexes, etc.) is available at nanosecond DRAM speeds while less frequently accessed data can be stored in lower tier PCIe Solid State Drives (SSD), SATA/SAS SSDs and hard drives. In addition to dramatically improved system performance, total cost of ownership (TCO) is reduced. Instead of constantly wearing down SSDs with write cycles, data is written to the DRAM portion of the NVDIMM thus extending the life of all SSDs.